October is officially crack an egg month, but why dedicate a whole month to eggs? What makes eggs so special? Here are 8 reasons:
- Protein: Eggs are an excellent source of protein containing all essential amino acids needed by the human body. An average medium egg contains 6.5 grams of protein.
- Energy: Eggs are relatively low in saturated fat and only contain approximately 80 Kcals
- Vitamins: Eggs are a good source of Vitamins A, B, D and E which are responsible for normal growth and development, essential for many vital functions, protection against heart disease and mineral absorption
- Minerals: Eggs are rich in Iodine which is required for making thyroid hormones; phosphorus, essential for healthy teeth and bones; zinc, important for would healing, and selenium an antioxidant important in protecting against heart disease and some cancers.
- Brain Development: Eggs contain Choline especially important during pregnancy to help with brain and memory development
- Weight Loss: Research has shown that eating eggs for breakfast can help people in losing weight. Eating eggs makes you feel fuller and therefore have less desire to eat other foods
- Inexpensive: Eggs are one of the lowest cost high quality protein foods available
- Variety: There are so many ways you can preparethem: scrambled, poached, fried, omelette, the possibilities are endless
With so many benefits don’t waste time. Get cracking!